Saturday, January 2, 2010

READING: Black Lamb amd Grey Falcon: A Journey through Yugoslavia by Rebecca West

The book is "widely recognized as Rebecca West's most distinguished non-fiction work. It describes a journey she and her husband took through Yugoslavia in 1937, a journey overshadowed by the growing inevitability of the Second World War. The landscape and people of Yugoslavia, its history, cultures, religions and politics, are brilliantly observed as Rebecca West untangles the tensions that rule the country's history as well as its daily life."

Originally published in 1941, I'm reading the 1986 Penguin Books edition. Since the book has 1150 pages of small print, I expect to finish it sometime in 2010. I read the first 200 or so pages in 1989 (I know because of a note/book marker with 1989 written on it)...but I just started where I left off and will reread the beginning after I reach page 1150.